The objectives and purpose of the Writtier Gem and Mineral Society is to disseminate knowledge of mineralogy and the earth sciences and to encourage study in these subjects, through means of:
1. The presentation of public exhibitions, lectures, slide programs.
2. Field trips for exploration, study and collection of specimens.
3. The preparation, publication and distribution of articles and studies pertaining to mineralogy and the earth, sciences.
4. The promotion of scientific research in these fields.
5. The encouragement of interest among young people and the fostering of classes in mineralogy and lapidary arts.
6. And all other means which are appropriate to the accomplishment of the primary objectives set forth.
Whittier Gem & Mineral Society is a member of the California Federation of Mineralogical Societies (CFMS),and the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AFMS).
Our club meets at 7:00 p.m. on:
4th Thursday - Jan. thru June, Sep. & Oct.
3rd Thursday Nov. & Dec.
no meetings in July & Aug.
Meeting location -- Whittier Senior Center 13225 Walnut Street (map below)
Anual Dues (Jan. thru Dec.):
Family - $25.00 --- Single Member - $15.00 --- Junior $5.00
1-time initiation fee - $5.00 Membership is open to all who have interest in lapidary, jewelry making, rockhounding, and all other areas having to do with rocks and gems.
Presentation of earth science programs.
Field Trips - Monthly geological or rockhounding trips to various locations.
Rockgabbers - A special interest group that gets together monthly to teach each other jewelry/lapidary skills.
Newsletter - The Rockhounder is the newsletter of The Wittier Gem & Mineral Society published monthly except during the summer months.
Gem, Mineral & Jewelry Show - Annual event displaying the rewards of our hobby.
Vistors always welcome to our MEETINGS -- come by and join us. TEST
Rockgrabbers February 4, 2017
Rockgabbers will be on Saturday Feb 4th at 1:00pm, at the home of Tony and Sandie.
The project for February is called the Valentine's Day Necklace.
9 8mm beads (Central color)
The project takes about an hour to complete.
Tony and Sandie
Valentine's Day Necklace